- 1The smallest particle of a chemical element that can exist.More example sentences
- Once removed from an atom, an electron may in turn ionize other atoms or molecules.
- Dr Lewis said the acrosome reaction involved the channelling of charged calcium atoms, or ions.
- Lam says that teleporting single atoms and molecules could be perfected within the next ten years.
- 1.1 (usually the atom) Atomic particles as a source of nuclear energy: the power of the atomMore example sentences
- Heisenberg is already very famous as a scientist, and when the war starts, he will work for the Nazis trying to split the atom and develop an atomic bomb.
- Rutherford knew that alpha particles, which readily pierced the atom's cloud of electrons, didn't have enough energy to penetrate and pry apart the nucleus.
- They showed us how to split the atom and harness nuclear fuel so that we might finally meet them as equals.
- 1.2 [usually with negative] An extremely small amount of something: I shall not have one atom of strength leftMore example sentences
- It is the height of hypocrisy for him to complain that Darwinism lacks causal specificity when his own theory lacks any specificity, including one atom of historical concreteness.
- Was this, as I suspected in every atom of my being, a cooked sausage that just wasn't properly cooked?
- I will not fail to bring to your notice that this transaction is hitch free and that you should not entertain any atom of fear as all required arrangements have been made for the transfer.
Atoms consist of a tiny, dense, positively charged nucleus made of neutrons and protons, surrounded by a cloud of negatively charged electrons, roughly 10−8 cm in diameter. Each chemical element consists of atoms with a characteristic number of protons. Atoms are held together in molecules by the sharing of electrons
- 2 [usually as modifier] Canadian A level of amateur sport, typically involving children aged between nine and eleven: eight atom hockey teamsMore example sentences
- The local Foothills Elite North 93 team won the major atom title, beating the Red Deer Rustlers 5-2.
- After having fielded a bantam team for several years, the Storm is now putting together an atom program open to players aged nine and 10.
- His hour-long presentation in the curling lounge at the Omniplex proved helpful to many people attending including Chad Anker, an atom level coach from Calgary.
late 15th century: from Old French atome, via Latin from Greek atomos 'indivisible', based on a- 'not' + temnein 'to cut'.