noun[treated as singular]
- The branch of physics concerned with the structure of the atom and the characteristics of subatomic particles.More example sentences
- Subject to the limitations of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the advancement of atomic physics and quantum physics allowed increasingly accurate descriptions of complex atoms.
- These ‘magic’ numbers of protons and neutrons are called closed shells, and are similar to the electron shells of atomic physics.
- Current research in atomic physics focuses on describing the internal structure of atoms.
More definitions of atomic physicsDefinition of atomic physics in:
- The US English dictionary