- The spectrum of frequencies of electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed during transitions of electrons between energy levels within an atom. Each element has a characteristic spectrum by which it can be recognized.More example sentences
- But then we wouldn't see the characteristic atomic spectra of the different elements - atoms would be able to produce light of any colour, which is not what we observe.
- In 1913, Danish physicist Niels Bohr developed the first model of the atom that used the concepts of quantum theory to explain atomic spectra.
- He had been struggling to understand the details of atomic spectra.
More definitions of atomic spectrumDefinition of atomic spectrum in:
- The US English dictionary