- Compassionate assistance cannot, of course, be a substitute for the punishment of criminal acts or atonement for wrongdoing.
- Their pacifist constitution is both atonement for a bloody past and a defining national characteristic.
- Yet that still does not amount to full atonement for what he did.
- This is not because we have earned God's favor but simply because we belong to Christ and his sacrifice has made perfect atonement for our sin.
- The two offerings together symbolized a community of people at peace with God because atonement for sins had been made.
- They receive a free pardon from God for all their sins - past, present and future - through the death of Christ as an offering and atonement for sin.
- Yet at the same time they deny the doctrine of the Trinity, of the Incarnation, of the Atonement, and of justification by faith alone.
- The result has been some fascinating studies of such topics as sin, the Atonement, and the Incarnation.
- Regarding the Atonement, he asked: ‘How can the guilt of one man be expiated by the death of another who is sinless - if indeed one may speak of a sinless man at all?’
Early 16th century (denoting unity or reconciliation, especially between God and man): from at one + -ment, influenced by medieval Latin adunamentum 'unity', and earlier onement from an obsolete verb one 'to unite'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: atone|ment
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.