Denoting a form of allergy in which a hypersensitivity reaction such as eczema or asthma may occur in a part of the body not in contact with the allergen.
More example sentences
- Recent information has shown a substantial increase in the incidence of asthma and atopic disease.
- The prevalence of asthma and atopic symptoms is higher in children in Hong Kong than those in mainland China.
- The patient had never smoked and had no history of atopic illness.
early 20th century: from Greek atopia 'unusualness', from atopos 'unusual', from a- 'without' + topos 'place'.
- More example sentences
- Asthma is characterized by airway hyperreactivity, inflammation, and atopy.
- In addition, all subjects were atopic, although atopy was not an inclusion criterion in our study.
- There is no evidence that immunisation causes atopy.
Definition of atopic in:
- The US English dictionary