Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of Atsina in English:
noun (plural same or Atsinas)
A member of a North American Indian people living chiefly in the north central plains region. They speak an Algonquian language. Also called Gros Ventre.
- Mooney estimated that there were 3,000 Arapaho in 1780 and the same number of Atsina.
- Their name for themselves is ‘Aaninen’, Atsina being their Blackfoot name.
- The Atsina are not prominent in history and in most respects are regarded by the Arapaho proper as inferior to them.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the Atsina.
- Born in the Atsina tribe in 1800, the girl named Shining Sun was abducted by some River Crow hunters.
- This photo shows an Atsina dance Curtis named ‘dance of the flight of arrows’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.