Definition of attorney in English:
noun (plural attorneys)
1A person, typically a lawyer, appointed to act for another in business or legal matters. Compare with barrister, solicitor.
- Other important intermediaries were legal attorneys, who represented the Christian groups in their dealings with the state.
- The court would appoint public attorneys to represent Estrada.
- You and your attorney should understand your business situation thoroughly before you decide on a license.
1.1chiefly US A qualified lawyer.
- About two dozen women qualified as attorneys by the end of the decade.
- As you reach your twilight years, meeting with a qualified attorney to develop an estate plan is a priority.
- Well, I think he is going to rely on the counsel of his attorneys.
lawyer, legal practitioner, legal executive, legal adviser, legal representative, agent, member of the bar, advocate, counsel, counsellor, intercessor, defending counsel, prosecuting counsel;
North American & Irish counsellor-at-law
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia