noun[mass noun] Psychology
- A theory which supposes that people attempt to understand the behaviour of others by attributing feelings, beliefs, and intentions to them.More example sentences
- We also discuss the role of attribution theory in understanding the marital distress of these couples.
- This version of attribution theory has been successfully applied to a range of children and adolescents.
- However, attribution theory could be used again to supply an alternative explanation: the incumbent may have claimed more of the credit than he or she may have been entitled to.
More definitions of attribution theoryDefinition of attribution theory in:
- The US English dictionary