Definition of audacious in English:
- Today we look at a bold and audacious project that's bringing a fresh approach to the way we understand the ecology of this country.
- What a match, what a turnaround and what a scintillating performance by this brave, audacious and talented Welsh team.
- From this dynamic leader's audacious vision has sprung a city that is breathtaking in scale and vision.
- He is too sweet, too nice, too inoffensive for the dig at hypocrisy to hit home, and many of the jokes lack the audacious punch of old.
- It's a shocking, audacious moment - one of the few times the film makes you sit up and take notice.
- He is audacious, showing such wilful disrespect to the past that one wonders if it ever existed!
- Example sentences
- She has always been audaciously ambitious.
- Others, more audaciously, have even alleged corruption.
- His poetry is neither traditional, nor audaciously experimental, but lyrical and contemporary in themes.
- audaciousness noun
- Example sentences
- I am just shocked at such blatant acts of audaciousness.
- It is breathtaking in its audaciousness, frightening in its adventurousness, worrying in its significance.
- Most biographers have attributed her tenacity and audaciousness to the competitive, mercurial nature of an acting career in New York and Hollywood.
Mid 16th century: from Latin audax, audac- 'bold' (from audere 'dare') + -ious.
Today audacious means ‘willing to take surprisingly bold risks’ and ‘showing a lack of respect, impudent’, but it originally had a more direct sense of ‘bold, confident, daring’. The root is Latin audax ‘bold’.
Words that rhyme with audaciousAthanasius, bodacious, cactaceous, capacious, carbonaceous, contumacious, Cretaceous, curvaceous, disputatious, edacious, efficacious, fallacious, farinaceous, flirtatious, foliaceous, fugacious, gracious, hellacious, herbaceous, Ignatius, loquacious, mendacious, mordacious, ostentatious, perspicacious, pertinacious, pugnacious, rapacious, sagacious, salacious, saponaceous, sebaceous, sequacious, setaceous, spacious, tenacious, veracious, vexatious, vivacious, voracious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.