noun (plural aumbries)
- 1A small recess or cupboard in the wall of a church.More example sentences
- More and more, Catholic parishes are building beautiful ambries and placing them where they can be seen.
- Pictures and names of seven departed bishops of Rochester can be seen on the inside of the ambry door.
- This wall has an aumbry, or secure cupboard, for keeping the sacraments, or possibly relics.
Middle English: from Old French armarie, from Latin armarium 'closet, chest', from arma 'utensils'.
More definitions of aumbryDefinition of aumbry in:
- The US English dictionary