(also aureola ɔːˈrɪələ)
Definition of aureole in English:
1A circle of light or brightness surrounding something, especially as depicted in art around the head or body of a person represented as holy: her hair framed her face in a golden aureole
More example sentences
- The prominently depicted hen and rooster form the brightest spot in the foreground, as they are encircled by an aureole of light.
- Facing them, the rest of us could see little but shadowy faces, surrounded by bright aureoles.
- She rubs pigment into engraved lines and allows this to produce a slick aureole around the image.
3 Geology The zone of metamorphosed rock surrounding an igneous intrusion.
- Metamorphic aureoles around the granitic rocks are estimated to extend on the order of 1 km from the granitic rocks.
- This is the widest metamorphic zone in the aureole.
- A thermal metamorphic aureole is developed in the sedimentary country rocks.
Words that rhyme with aureolegloriole, oriole
Definition of aureole in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan