Definition of austenite in English:
noun[mass noun] Metallurgy
A solid solution of carbon in a non-magnetic form of iron stable at high temperatures. It is a constituent of some forms of steel.
- Titanium can reduce carbon in austenite by forming very stable carbides.
- This level of carbon also decreases the solubility of the microalloying constituents in austenite.
- When the steel is heated well above the upper critical temperature large austenite crystals form.
early 20th century: from the name of Sir William Roberts- Austen (1843–1902), English metallurgist, + -ite1.
- Example sentences
- One significant difference between the cast and wrought stainless steels is in the microstructure of cast austenitic stainless steels.
- The basic composition of austenitic stainless steels is 18% chromium and 8% nickel.
- Cold rolled austenitic stainless steel is another alternative.
Definition of austenite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan