- A ruler who has absolute power: he is one of those pitiable petty autarchs who habitually lord it over children and helpless underlingsMore example sentences
- Early in his essay, the editor makes it clear that his warning is against all autarchs.
- It's an anarchic assemblage of petty autocracies with numerous additional charismatic nobles advising the autarchs.
- But in the old Citadel in the enormous city, they still exist: two Masters, some journeymen and the apprentices, all locked up in their tower, doing the biddings of the judges and the autarchs, inflicting pain and ending lives.
early 19th century: from Greek autarkhos, from autos 'self' + arkhos 'leader'.
More definitions of autarchDefinition of autarch in:
- The US English dictionary