Definition of auteur in English:
A film director who influences their films so much that they rank as their author.
- The creative force behind the film wasn't an auteur, a cinematic genius.
- But either way, I think we're all in agreement that some commercial product directed by noted auteurs, whether successful or not, is often doing artistic things that go unrecognized by many critics and moviegoers.
- While younger action film auteurs put the viewer in the center of the action, Bond films continued to relegate their audiences to the sidelines, watching stunts as passive observers.
1960s: from French, literally 'author'.
- Example sentences
- As film studies grope beyond auteurism towards a greater recognition of the importance of collaboration and versatility, their contribution might be more generously acknowledged.
- One of the frameworks inevitably embraced as one comes to understand movies is auteurism.
- His work takes auteurism to new and exciting heights, though outside of Canada he remains relatively unknown save for the art-house circuit.
- Example sentences
- But I associated him with the auteurist moment in film criticism, and I wanted to pick someone like Nicholas Ray or Minnelli, who had been important to the French in the 1950s.
- I still utilize an auteurist model (as most critics do when talking about films, even if they don't necessarily attribute the auteur to the director, it can be collectivized, etc.) because the auteur is a useful organizing principle.
- Still, auteurist aims are diverse enough that it's still possible to find filmmakers who have chosen to go down less traveled paths.
Words that rhyme with auteurà deux, agent provocateur, astir, aver, bestir, blur, bon viveur, burr, Chandigarh, coiffeur, concur, confer, connoisseur, cordon-bleu, cri de cœur, cur, danseur, Darfur, defer, demur, de rigueur, deter, entrepreneur, er, err, farceur, faute de mieux, fir, flâneur, Fleur, force majeure, fur, hauteur, her, infer, inter, jongleur, Kerr, littérateur, longueur, masseur, Monseigneur, monsieur, Montesquieu, Montreux, murre, myrrh, occur, pas de deux, Pasteur, per, pisteur, poseur, pot-au-feu, prefer, prie-dieu, pudeur, purr, raconteur, rapporteur, refer, répétiteur, restaurateur, saboteur, sabreur, seigneur, Sher, shirr, sir, skirr, slur, souteneur, spur, stir, tant mieux, transfer, Ur, vieux jeu, voyageur, voyeur, were, whirr
Definition of auteur in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan