noun (plural autos)[usually as modifier] • informal , chiefly North American
- A car: the auto industryMore example sentences
- Did you ever wonder why the North American auto industry is concentrated where it is?
- Making use of the internet for getting the best suited auto insurance is not a demanding task.
- Finding the best auto parts actually depends on you, so make the right choice now!
late 19th century: abbreviation of automobile.
adjective & noun
- short for automatic.More example sentences
- It has a much slower rate of fire than the auto shotgun, but it hits just as hard.
- I was playing with the auto contrast on my camera, setting it by focussing one area then moving it to point somewhere else.
- Let's be honest here: if I got an auto response, how can the contents of my email have been noted.