noun (plural autos-da-fé /ˌɔːtəʊz-/)
- 1The burning of a heretic by the Spanish Inquisition.More example sentences
- They are then dressed in the traditional garb for heretics punished in an auto-da-fé.
- Impenitents - heretics burned at the stake during autos-da-fé - wore black san benitos decorated with devils and flames.
- The recent autos-da-fé, however, should serve as reminders of the region's turbulent past and warnings of a possible return to violence and instability in the near future.
early 18th century: from Portuguese, literally 'act of the faith'.
More definitions of auto-da-féDefinition of auto-da-fé in:
- The US English dictionary