- A self-taught person.More example sentences
- I highly recommend this epoch-making CD-ROM to teachers, students, and even autodidacts.
- Both were autodidacts, who went, perfunctorily, to school and college while pursuing their education by their own means and under their own instruction.
- Though neither attended university, Jonson was a famous autodidact whose classical learning (including his knowledge of Greek) easily outstripped Shakespeare's.
- More example sentences
- In her lifetime she noted that her work highlighted the unfortunate divide between autodidactic and certified professional therapy.
- Helene got him a topflight classical guitar teacher, who found the boy stubbornly autodidactic.
- ‘The autodidactic element was one of the identifying characteristics of the New Swiss film, both for filmmakers and technicians’.
mid 18th century: from Greek autodidaktos 'self-taught', from autos 'self' + didaskein 'teach'.
More definitions of autodidactDefinition of autodidact in:
- The US English dictionary