1A device focusing a camera or other piece of equipment automatically.
- In either case, you'll know when you're trying to take a picture that's beyond the camera's close-focus capability, because the autofocus won't lock on.
- The larger issue concerns the fact that some purchasers of the new digital model are complaining that the autofocus doesn't work properly; that the camera focuses slightly ahead of or behind the intended spot.
- Actually, where the latter is concerned you've no choice, but I often find myself turning off the autofocus and twisting the focus ring manually, too.
1.1 [mass noun] The facility for automatic focusing: these pictures were shot with the help of autofocus
More example sentences
- If you were to photograph people, then I would say autofocus would be useful.
- The combination of low angle, wide lens and autofocus created a unique perspective.
- When shooting, the camera is satisfyingly responsive, with quick autofocus and minimal shutter delay.
- Example sentences
- Because a dedicated flash's output is mated to the autofocusing system, the camera even knows how far away your subject is.
- Cells were monitored in an inverted phase contrast microscope with autofocusing controlled by dedicated software.
- One option would be to use the precision-engineered rings of piezoelectric ceramic used in stills cameras to move an autofocusing lens.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.