Definition of autogamy in English:
Self-fertilization, especially the self pollination of a flower. Compare with allogamy.
- In this study, I use floral manipulations in conjunction with marker gene analysis to estimate the relative contributions of autogamy and geitonogamy to self fertilization.
- Together, the three modes of geitonogamy make a much larger contribution to self-fertilization than autogamy.
- Recipients were cells from young clones only four to six fissions after the last autogamy.
- autogamous adjective
- Example sentences
- Like tomato and pepper, eggplant is an autogamous diploid with 12 chromosomes.
- I estimated the amount of autogamous pollination by comparing the stigmatic pollen loads of intact and emasculated flowers.
- Wild barley is a predominantly autogamous annual grass.
Late 19th century: from auto-1 'self' + Greek -gamia (from gamos 'marriage').
Definition of autogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.