- A French motorway.More example sentences
- The French police have recently cracked down on speeding on the autoroute.
- My reverie ends abruptly as I join the wrong exit lane from the autoroute, one reserved for drivers with a prepayment card.
- The French rule automatically lowers speed limits (by 20 kph on autoroutes, 10 kph on main roads) in rain.
1960s: from French, from auto(mobile) 'car' + route 'route'.
More definitions of autorouteDefinition of autoroute in:
- The US English dictionary