A substance produced by an organism which is toxic to itself.
More example sentences
- Remember the early Illinois data where the autotoxin was accumulating in the soil and reducing productivity.
- Damaged plants, even if they survive, never produce as well as plants not affected by autotoxins.
- It seems to destroy the autotoxins and overcome the nervous inactivity.
- More example sentences
- Recent research indicates autotoxic compounds leach faster through sandy soils than heavy-textured soils.
- Some scientists are researching ways to genetically modify alfalfa to decrease the autotoxic effects.
- New seedlings emerging within the autotoxic zone of the old plant still would not likely contribute to yield.
Definition of autotoxin in:
- The US English dictionary