Definition of autotoxin in English:
A substance produced by an organism which is toxic to itself.
- Remember the early Illinois data where the autotoxin was accumulating in the soil and reducing productivity.
- Damaged plants, even if they survive, never produce as well as plants not affected by autotoxins.
- It seems to destroy the autotoxins and overcome the nervous inactivity.
- Example sentences
- Recent research indicates autotoxic compounds leach faster through sandy soils than heavy-textured soils.
- Some scientists are researching ways to genetically modify alfalfa to decrease the autotoxic effects.
- New seedlings emerging within the autotoxic zone of the old plant still would not likely contribute to yield.
Definition of autotoxin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan