Definition of autoxidation in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
Spontaneous oxidation of a substance at ambient temperatures in the presence of oxygen.
- Many fatty foods are susceptible to autoxidation, involving the oxidation of lipid molecules to produce malodorous ketones, alcohols and acids that adversely affect the texture, flavour and taste of food.
- It can also be formed by oxidative deoxyribose breakdown or autoxidation of sugars, such as glucose, and it plays a role in the pathophysiology of diabetes and ageing.
- Lipid oxidation is a major cause of meat quality deterioration, as products of autoxidation of unsaturated fatty acids affect wholesomeness and nutritional value.
- autoxidize (also autoxidise) verb
- Example sentences
- Thus reaction further autoxidizes to produce free radicals, hydrogen peroxide and hydroxyl radicals.
- However, the oxy complex has the potential to autoxidise to form the ferric haemoglobin.
- In view of therapeutic strategies indole-type substances are to be preferred, as these are devoid of autoxidizing reactions as found with phenolic antioxidants like tocopherol.
Definition of autoxidation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.