Definition of autoxidation in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
Spontaneous oxidation of a substance at ambient temperatures in the presence of oxygen.
- Many fatty foods are susceptible to autoxidation, involving the oxidation of lipid molecules to produce malodorous ketones, alcohols and acids that adversely affect the texture, flavour and taste of food.
- It can also be formed by oxidative deoxyribose breakdown or autoxidation of sugars, such as glucose, and it plays a role in the pathophysiology of diabetes and ageing.
- Lipid oxidation is a major cause of meat quality deterioration, as products of autoxidation of unsaturated fatty acids affect wholesomeness and nutritional value.
autoxidize (also autoxidise) verb
- Example sentences
- Thus reaction further autoxidizes to produce free radicals, hydrogen peroxide and hydroxyl radicals.
- However, the oxy complex has the potential to autoxidise to form the ferric haemoglobin.
- In view of therapeutic strategies indole-type substances are to be preferred, as these are devoid of autoxidizing reactions as found with phenolic antioxidants like tocopherol.
Definition of autoxidation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan