Definition of autumn in English:
1The season after summer and before winter, in the northern hemisphere from September to November and in the southern hemisphere from March to May: the countryside is ablaze with colour in autumn figurative he was in the autumn of his life
More example sentences
- All trials were conducted in the autumn of 1996, and summers and autumns of 1997 and 1998, during the dry season characteristic of the region.
- Come autumn, the leaf colour warms up, becoming singed with red, a real treat to witness.
- He said it was given to her in the autumn of 1997, with a copy kept for the company's files.
1.1 Astronomy The period from the autumn equinox to the winter solstice.
- At the autumnal equinox, the sun appears to cross the celestial equator, from north to south; this marks the beginning of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere.
- The autumnal equinox is the day when Autumn begins and night and day are nearly the same length.
- The Autumn Equinox marks the arrival of autumn, which will sneaking up to us this Thursday!