- A verb used in forming the tenses, moods, and voices of other verbs. The primary auxiliary verbs in English are be, do, and have; the modal auxiliaries are can, could, may, might, must, shall, should, will, and would.More example sentences
- Such words include pronouns, auxiliary verbs, conjunctions, and prepositions.
- Most of the functions of the old subjunctive have been taken over by auxiliary verbs like may and should, and the subjunctive survives only in very limited situations.
- Bosnian uses fewer auxiliary verbs than English, and Bosnian speakers may be puzzled by questions in English, in which the auxiliary verb comes before the subject, as in ‘Did you eat?’
More definitions of auxiliary verbDefinition of auxiliary verb in:
- The US English dictionary