- A plant hormone which causes the elongation of cells in shoots and is involved in regulating plant growth: See also indoleacetic acid. the apex of a growing stem produces auxin [count noun]: gibberellin interacts with cytokinins and auxinsMore example sentences
- Falling levels of plant hormones such as auxin and the cytokinins are responsible.
- Hormones such as auxins and gibberellins trigger fruit cells to expand.
- New links to the plant hormone, auxin, were also uncovered.
1930s: coined in German from Greek auxein 'to increase' + -in1.
More definitions of auxinDefinition of auxin in:
- The US English dictionary