- A plant of the rose family, typically having serrated, divided leaves and seeds bearing small hooks.
More example sentences
- Genus Geum, family Rosaceae: several species, including the widespread water avens (G. rivale), with drooping pinkish flowers, and wood avens or herb bennet
- Along with a heavy ground cover of soft mosses are horsetails and such wildflowers as Ross's avens, bluebells, sweet coltsfoot, a grass-of-Parnassus, a fleabane, and various sedges.
- Among the wildflowers are a red columbine, aster, figwort, wild sarsaparilla, fleabane, and avens.
- In a study on Devon Island, just south of Ellesmere, the hares fed mainly on Arctic willow in winter, supplemented in summer with Arctic avens, grasses and sedges.
Middle English: from Old French avence (medieval Latin avencia), of unknown origin.
More definitions of avensDefinition of avens in:
- The US English dictionary