noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A protein found in raw egg white, which combines with biotin and hinders its absorption.More example sentences
- The latter is due to the affinity of the egg white protein, avidin, for biotin preventing intestinal absorption of the biotin.
- By cooking eggs, for example, you detoxify avidin, an egg-white protein that destroys biotin.
- Groundwater, too, is protected from contamination because avidin is a biodegradable protein.
More definitions of avidinDefinition of avidin in:
- The US English dictionary