That has been asserted, admitted, or stated publicly: an avowed atheist they came to power with the avowed aim of promoting religious toleration
More example sentences
- In the 2005 parliamentary elections, 99 per cent of Kurds voted for nationalist parties with an avowed secessionist agenda.
- Stormfront has become a bridge to the mainstream, where controversial comments strangely mirror the rhetoric of avowed racists.
- The indulgence was a consequence of the context, of the avowed project.
- More example sentences
- Indeed, reenactment is often avowedly apolitical, purporting not to take a stance vis-a-vis the past.
- Religion plays a role in several of the portfolios, which reflects the resurgence of Buddhism and other religions in what was, only 20 years ago, an avowedly atheistic country.
- But the school is avowedly ecumenical so no extra credence is given to practising Anglicans,’ he said.