- 1Used to express mild protest, entreaty, or sympathy: aw, come on, Andy aww, you poor thingMore example sentences
- Viv, pouted. "Aw! Please can we go!"
- Aw, it's not fair, Grenville's mum's letting him stay on.
- "Aw, please, Miss, take him back," the shopkeeper said.
- 2Used to express mild disappointment or self-deprecation: aw, it’s a shame I can’t make it aww, thanks for the nice commentsMore example sentences
- "You were so brave!" "Aw, it was nothing."
- When we first played we thought, 'aw, we're not doing any particular thing'.
- Aw, that's sweet of you to say so.
- 3Used to express pleasure, delight, or affection, especially in response to something regarded as sweet or endearing: aww, the kitten is too cute! aww, are you guys an item?More example sentences
- Aww, my little Joshy boy is all grown up.
- Aww, how cute are you for saying that?
- Aww, I love her.
natural exclamation: first recorded in American English in the mid 19th century.
More definitions of awDefinition of aw in:
- The US English dictionary