- A small pointed tool used for piercing holes, especially in leather.More example sentences
- Start your screw hole with an awl by tapping gently with a hammer or a soft-face mallet.
- The awl cuts a tidy hole in the leather that will close up tight around the thread as it is sewn, leaving a watertight stitch.
- Once the cabinets are marked lightly in pencil, use an awl or a center punch to create an indentation at the desired spot.
Old English æl, of Germanic origin; related to German Ahle.
More definitions of awlDefinition of awl in:
- The US English dictionary