- The upper angle between a leaf stalk or branch and the stem or trunk from which it is growing.More example sentences
- There are two or three flowers in the axils of the upper leaves.
- Hermaphroditic flowers develop from leaf axils and have eight stamens (with pollen connected by viscin threads), and a cross-shaped stigma.
- In the leaf axils of most dicotyledonous trees well-developed buds are present.
late 18th century: from Latin axilla 'armpit' (see axilla).
More definitions of axilDefinition of axil in:
- The US English dictionary