A Mexican salamander which in natural conditions retains its aquatic newt-like larval form throughout life but is able to breed.
- Ambystoma mexicanum, family Ambystomatidae
More example sentences
- A number of salamanders, such as the North American ‘mudpuppy’ and the Mexican axolotl, develop legs but retain their larval gills and stay in the water throughout their lifetimes.
- Another family, the Ambystomatidae occurs in the New World from Canada to central Mexico and includes the tiger salamander and the axolotl.
- Urodele amphibians such as newts and axolotls show a remarkable capacity for regenerating body structures such as tails, limbs, jaws, and the lens of the eye.
late 18th century: from Nahuatl, from atl 'water' + xolotl 'servant'.
Definition of axolotl in:
- The US English dictionary