Definition of axoneme in English:
The central strand of a cilium or flagellum. It is composed of an array of microtubules, typically in nine pairs around two single central ones.
- Furthermore, isolated mutant axonemes lacking the central pair or radial spokes can vigorously beat in certain nonphysiological solutions.
- There are nine paired microtubules per axoneme, and they are interconnected by dynein molecules, protruding at regular intervals like the legs of a millipede.
- It brings us to another question, whether the neck region of a flagellar axoneme with a basal body could make some mechanical hindrance to microtubules sliding.
early 20th century: from Greek axōn 'axis' + nēma 'thread'.
- Example sentences
- The PCD phenotype results from axonemal abnormalities and dysfunction of motile cilia and flagella.
- Though speculative, perhaps these heterodimeric motors walk along the seam of the doublet microtubules or interact optimally with the microtubule-associated proteins found on axonemal microtubules.
- Previous studies have revealed that axonemal microtubules showed oscillatory sliding under the condition where the free bending of axonemes was restricted by adhering them on glass surfaces.
Definition of axoneme in:
- US English dictionary