- A nursemaid or nanny employed by Europeans in India or another former British territory.More example sentences
- By 1753 you could find Indians employed as servants and ayahs, nurses for children, in the households of a significant number of the British elite.
- When a deadly snake, a black krait, slithered into my nursery and my ayah [Indian nanny] ran screaming from the room, her ankle bracelets chattering in panic, it was Yah Mohammed who calmly killed the krait.
- In the 17th century servants and ayahs were brought over by British families returning from India.
Anglo-Indian, from Portuguese aia 'nurse', feminine of aio 'tutor'.
More definitions of ayahDefinition of ayah in:
- The US English dictionary