Definition of azarole in English:
1An edible Mediterranean fruit which resembles a tiny apple and is used for making preserves.
- Its companion piece, Still Life with pomegranates, apples, azaroles and grapes in a landscape, is obviously related in composition and is derived from a style popular in seventeenth century Italy that Melendez saw on his travels.
- Quinces, various types of apples, apricots, peaches, cherries, pears, plums, currants, blackberries, melons, and azaroles were grown.
- Israel is believed to be within the Mediterranean Basin and the Middle East the primary source for carob, olive, azarole, jujube and the almond.
2The small hawthorn-like tree bearing azaroles.
- Crataegus azarolus, family Rosaceae
- The name ‘Naples medlar’ has been used for the azarole.
- The azarole has long been cultivated for its edible fruit in S. Europe.
- The species with the best fruit is the azarole, C. azarolus (sometimes called Naples medlar but no relation to the ordinary medlar).
Definition of azarole in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.