Definition of azarole in English:
1An edible Mediterranean fruit which resembles a tiny apple and is used for making preserves.
- Its companion piece, Still Life with pomegranates, apples, azaroles and grapes in a landscape, is obviously related in composition and is derived from a style popular in seventeenth century Italy that Melendez saw on his travels.
- Quinces, various types of apples, apricots, peaches, cherries, pears, plums, currants, blackberries, melons, and azaroles were grown.
- Israel is believed to be within the Mediterranean Basin and the Middle East the primary source for carob, olive, azarole, jujube and the almond.
2The small hawthorn-like tree bearing azaroles.
- Crataegus azarolus, family Rosaceae
- The name ‘Naples medlar’ has been used for the azarole.
- The azarole has long been cultivated for its edible fruit in S. Europe.
- The species with the best fruit is the azarole, C. azarolus (sometimes called Naples medlar but no relation to the ordinary medlar).
Definition of azarole in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan