- 1Having no trace of life or organic remains.More example sentences
- The Manx naturalist Edward Forbes coined the word ‘azoic’ to describe this self-evidently lifeless zone.
- This was the so-called ‘azoic’ (a = without, zoic = life) theory and the supposed lifeless region below 300 fathoms was the ‘azoic zone,’ an abyss where no life could exist.
- Within this mud belt, which ranges up to 20 meters deep, there are areas in which the oxygen levels are zero - ‘azoic zones’ or ‘dead zones,’ Weeks explained.
- 1.1 (the Azoic) Geology another term for Archaean.
mid 19th century: from Greek azōos 'without life' + -ic.
More definitions of azoicDefinition of azoic in:
- The US English dictionary