Definition of azoturia in English:
1 Medicine Abnormal excess of nitrogen compounds in the urine.
- She was very fit and on a good nutritional program but shortly after completing cross country, she had a severe episode of azoturia.
- Hence, azoturia (excess of nitrogenous matter in the urine), which is an indicator of a functional breakdown, does not occur until three quarters of the glomeruli have ceased to function.
- Contraindications are: progressive renal dysfunction, including anuria, increasing oliguria and increasing azoturia; pre-existing elevated serum potassium.
1.1 Veterinary Medicine A condition that can affect horses exercised after a period of stabling, causing painful stiffness in the hindquarters and back, and dark urine containing products of muscle cell destruction. Also called tying-up.
- Garza's seen horses with azoturia, aka Monday Morning Sickness or ‘tying up.’
- In horses, the Muscle Tie-Up Syndrome is accompanied by azoturia and much pain.
- As a matter of fact, over-indulgence in grain has been tied to azoturia, yet so have vitamin and mineral deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, and severe dehydration.
Mid 19th century: from obsolete azote 'nitrogen' + -uria.
Definition of azoturia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.