- A large vein on the right side at the back of the thorax, draining into the superior vena cava.More example sentences
- A persistent left superior vena cava may be associated with the presence of two azygos veins.
- Other unusual sites of drainage include the coronary sinus, inferior vena cava, azygos vein, left subclavian vein, portal vein, and left persistent superior vena cava.
- The thoracic duct has also been found draining into the azygos vein and the inferior vena cava.
mid 17th century: azygos from Greek azugos, from a- 'without' + zugon 'yoke', the vein not being one of a pair.
More definitions of azygos veinDefinition of azygos vein in:
- The US English dictionary