(also béchamel sauce)
- A rich white sauce made with milk infused with herbs and other flavourings.More example sentences
- While we think of béchamel as an all-purpose white sauce made of scalded milk, roux, and flavorings, Carême made it by enriching velouté with cream.
- Our panel of two reached a split decision on the potato-sheathed eggplant moussaka: One of us felt the rich béchamel and prune quenelle pushed the entrée too far into dessert territory; the other licked his plate clean.
- More significantly, he is probably the man who first invented the famous béchamel or white sauce.
named after the Marquis Louis de Béchamel (died 1703), steward to Louis XIV of France, who is said to have invented a similar sauce.
More definitions of béchamelDefinition of béchamel in:
- The US English dictionary