noun (plural babus)Indian
- 1A respectful title or form of address for a man, especially an educated one: I could see Kana-babu’s shopMore example sentences
- Right at that moment, a young boy, hardly 20 or even younger, looked up at me and said sardonically, ‘To propitiate the gods, babu, we do not have to look up these days.’
- Dilip had already done a market survey, and located potential customers, usually villagers who were in the process of building houses - like Ghosh babu.
- No, we are not saying that some famous Bengali babu is coming here to enlighten us on the finer aspects of their admirably rich tradition.
- 1.1An office worker: he was a typical babu, polite and faintly scornfulMore example sentences
- Click your mobile camera for our police babu dozing off at night duty.
- Many of the more experienced contenders have spent decades trying to convince an obstinate babu that they are not dead as shown in Government records.
- How many babu's would lose jobs if slums ceased to exist?
from Hindi bābū, literally 'father'.
More definitions of babuDefinition of babu in:
- The US English dictionary