Definition of back off in English:
1Draw back from action or confrontation: they backed off from fundamental reform of the system
More example sentences
- The leader of the union has consistently backed off from any confrontation with the government.
- It is clear that some unions have backed off from any major confrontations.
- The brothers never backed off from a challenge.
1.1North American Back down.
- I just received word that the union is backing off.
- She isn't really backing off; she says that her remarks were ‘off the cuff,’ but hasn't disavowed them.
- So, are Republican congressional leaders backing off?
Definition of back off in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.