Definition of back off in English:
1Draw back from action or confrontation: they backed off from fundamental reform of the system
More example sentences
- The leader of the union has consistently backed off from any confrontation with the government.
- It is clear that some unions have backed off from any major confrontations.
- The brothers never backed off from a challenge.
1.1North American Back down.
- I just received word that the union is backing off.
- She isn't really backing off; she says that her remarks were ‘off the cuff,’ but hasn't disavowed them.
- So, are Republican congressional leaders backing off?
Definition of back off in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India