Definition of back-projection in English:
1The projection of a picture on to the back of a translucent screen for viewing or for use as a background in filming.
- All my favourites were performed live with incredible big screen back-projection and animation to boot.
- In the 1950s, filmmakers who could not afford to film in Washington, D.C., often used a distant shot of a landmark through a window or back-projection through car windows to locate the scene.
- Since it was the first time back-projection had been employed at a concert, all the footage is close-up and the viewer never truly sees the scope and grandeur of these shows.
1.1 [count noun] An image created using the technique of back-projection: the slide was used as one of the back-projections
More example sentences
- Her permanent set is dominated by a black gantry with ladders attached - nothing remotely aristocratic, let alone redolent of the Spanish Civil War we were promised, apart from a handful of back-projections.
- Particularly successful were her back-projections, which yield just enough clues to the plot to make Wagner's German, in the compact score reduction, perfectly palatable.
- The hokey looking back-projections with which he presents scenes of movement are not really meant to resemble anything.
- Example sentences
- This backstory is drip-fed in a series of crisp scenes, neatly linked by pertinent images back-projected onto the minimalist set.
- The action almost looked as if it was back-projected, he is so dissociated with what is going on.
- The monkeys were trained to fixate a laser-generated central fixation point back-projected onto the tangent screen while irrelevant visual and/or auditory stimuli were presented in the periphery.
Definition of back-projection in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan