- A strong accent on one of the normally unaccented beats of the bar, used especially in jazz and popular music: the song incorporates an exhilarating backbeatMore example sentences
- ‘All the Rest’ follows with a more focused pop hook and a strong backbeat.
- One song was roots rock, the next featured reggae backbeats.
- By the album's last few tracks, the fills outweigh the backbeats to the point where he's pushing fusion jazz territory.
More definitions of backbeatDefinition of backbeat in:
- The US English dictionary