Definition of backbencher in English:
(In the UK) a Member of Parliament who does not hold office in the government or opposition and who sits behind the front benches in the House of Commons: he was cheered by Tory backbenchers
More example sentences
- Many Liberal backbenchers and opposition members were completely unaware of the negotiations.
- He had lost some right-wing ministers and alienated many backbenchers and supporters outside Parliament.
- The parliament's backbenchers did, however, force Executive ministers to change the law so two questions on religion could be included.
- Example sentences
- As the system now works, most Canadians elect a backbench member of Parliament, not a cabinet minister.
- After standing down from the cabinet she remained a backbench MSP representing Paisley North.
- We meet him in his Opposition backbench office in Parliament House.
Words that rhyme with backbencheracupressure
Definition of backbencher in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan