1A board placed at or forming the back of something, such as a piece of electronic equipment.
- I nailed tour boards together as a frame with the backboard a few inches higher than the front, laid the storm windows on top and grew some delicious early spring and late fall salad greens for myself.
- There is a wrought-iron ring on the top, so that it could be hung on a wall, and the backboards are held together with eighteenth-century sprigs (along with several modem screws).
- These include about two dozen index features, such as base construction and the method of attaching backboards and drawer runners, in addition to idiosyncrasies of design and decoration.
1.1A board used to support or straighten a person’s back, especially after an accident.
- The pods had no artificial gravity fields of their own to provide inertial dampening effects, so the Marines strapped themselves securely to the vertical backboards provided.
- Two backboards were lashed together, and he was secured to them.
- The man was placed on a backboard and had a neck brace applied as a precaution before he was taken to Southend Hospital.
1.2 Basketball An upright board behind the basket, off which the ball may rebound.
- The orange ball rebounded off the backboard and gave a few half-hearted bounces on the cement floor before rolling away.
- Whenever he grabbed an offensive rebound, the plan was to bank the ball in using the backboard - clean and simple and strong.
- So we did a simple drill where the players toss the ball off the backboard, jump high as possible to get it, then fire an outlet pass to a sideline player.
Words that rhyme with backboardblackboard
Definition of backboard in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.