Definition of backcourt in English:
1(In tennis, basketball, and other games) the part of each side of the court nearest the back wall or back boundary line.
- She clinched the set when her opponent hit long from the backcourt.
- He corrected the way I was running, the way I was picking up the ball, and the way I was throwing it to the other ball boy in the backcourt.
- Still, another scorer in the backcourt wouldn't hurt.
2The defensive players in a basketball team.
- The two players combined to form, to me, the best backcourt in the game at the time.
- They finished the half without any assists from their backcourt.
- He'll be backed by one of the nation's finest backcourts.
3(Especially in Glasgow) a courtyard behind a house or tenement.
- Your one-bedroom tenement with its close and communal backcourt may seem a few steps removed from a laminate floored loft, but trust me, you are now living in an apartment.
Words that rhyme with backcourtcohort • Port Harcourt
Definition of backcourt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.