Definition of backcross in English:
Cross (a hybrid) with one of its parents or an organism with the same genetic characteristics as one of the parents: (as adjective backcrossed) after five generations the backcrossed dogs were indistinguishable from pure-bred Dalmatians
More example sentences
- The parent cultivars were crossed to produce an initial hybrid that was then backcrossed to each parent.
- To eliminate possible additional mutations, the mutant strains were backcrossed eight times before genetic analyses.
- Each candidate was then backcrossed to the unmutagenized parent and tetrads were dissected to ensure that the synthetic lethal phenotype resulted from a single mutation.
nounBack to top
An instance or result of backcrossing.
- However, after several backcrosses, its heterozygotes could be distinguished from the dominant homozygotes.
- Genetic backcrosses were conducted to eliminate plasmid-based mutations and to verify that a single genetic locus was responsible for the 3 - AT-resistant phenotype.
- After 10 backcrosses into the NIH433a genetic background, both KN433a and KN433 were identical to each other and to NIH433a at all markers examined except those in the MAT locus.
Definition of backcross in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.