- 1A person, institution, or country that supports someone or something, especially financially: a struggle to find a new financial backerMore example sentences
sponsor, investor, subsidizer, underwriter, promoter, financier, patron, benefactor, benefactress, guarantor, supporter, friend• informal angel• rare Maecenassupporter, upholder, champion, defender, advocate, promoter, proponent, protagonist; seconder, second; North American booster
- The film-makers are seeking American backers to finance the project.
- Which major backer would financially support a party that had no chance whatsoever of gaining political power?
- News one of the show's key financial backers was poised to pull its support sent shockwaves across the district.
- 1.1A person that bets on a horse.More example sentences
- In this way, the backer enters into the traditional role of the gambler and the lawyer enters into the traditional role of the bookmaker.
- Ante-post backers with the traditional High Street bookmakers were hit by the withdrawals of several horses with big chances.
- This philosophy has not only made Dunstone popular with punters, it has made his early backers very rich.