noun[mass noun] American Football
1The area of play behind the line of scrimmage.
- The team is in a state of flux at two spots: the offensive line and the defensive backfield.
- He made three tackles in the Buc backfield and two more at the line of scrimmage.
- To use four wide receivers, the Chargers took some basic pass protection away from the line of scrimmage and the backfield.
1.1The players (quarterback and running backs) positioned in this area.
- He has shown the versatility throughout his career to play any position in the defensive backfield.
- After taking a handoff deep in the backfield from the quarterback, the tailback picks a hole based on the blocking in front of him.
- An effective run stuffer, he also can get into the backfield and pressure the quarterback.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: back|field
Definition of backfield in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.