Definition of backfield in English:
noun[mass noun] American Football
1The area of play behind the line of scrimmage.
- The team is in a state of flux at two spots: the offensive line and the defensive backfield.
- He made three tackles in the Buc backfield and two more at the line of scrimmage.
- To use four wide receivers, the Chargers took some basic pass protection away from the line of scrimmage and the backfield.
1.1The players (quarterback and running backs) positioned in this area.
- He has shown the versatility throughout his career to play any position in the defensive backfield.
- After taking a handoff deep in the backfield from the quarterback, the tailback picks a hole based on the blocking in front of him.
- An effective run stuffer, he also can get into the backfield and pressure the quarterback.
Definition of backfield in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia