- 1 [in singular] A strong negative reaction by a large number of people, especially to a social or political development: a public backlash against racismMore example sentences
- Women have seen this development as a backlash against equality and democracy.
- Today rogue animosity fuels a backlash against the development of the global economy and the spread of democracy.
- They both maintained there would not be a political backlash against Labour in the next General Election.
- 2 [mass noun] Recoil arising between parts of a mechanism.More example sentences
- The trigger pull is adjustable for distance as well as for pull weight and backlash.